In the market in which the 7 Series is perfect for, BMW premieres the car in China where long wheel base vehicles are the norm. In the new 7 Series, you get a new exterior design as well as new interior components which creates a class of refinement allowing a feel-good ambience as you travel long-distance in the new 7 Series.
Again focusing on the grille, BMW has decided to stick with an enlarged kidney grille as their signature styling moving forward. Can’t say that I am a huge fan of it but that is where the corporate behemoth is coasting towards. The car gets slimmer headlight units, optionally with BMW Laserlight as well as outer air intakes now with large, painted plates and eye-catching chrome trim strips.
On top of that, you get Vertical Air Breathers in the front side panels to bring extra precision, clarity and solidity to the car’s flanks and side trim strips now extend into the rear apron. Here are other key new features of the BMW 7 Series.
- The executive limo gets an extensively re-designed rear end. Rear apron contours adopt the design language of the front air intake trim. Integral exhaust tailpipes with larger chrome surround. New, three-dimensional and 35-millimetre slimmer rear lights with red/black surfacing. Sharply defined, very slim light strip (six millimetres wide) below the chrome bar between the rear lights provides an extra stylistic flourish.
- Expanded portfolio of exterior paint finishes and light-alloy wheels. Design Pure Excellence for the exterior and interior and M Sport package provide scope for individualisation. Extended BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line now available.
- Stylish sophistication for the interior. Exclusive Nappa leather upholstery with extended quilting, new fine wood interior trim strips and Ambient highlight in smoked-glass look create harmoniously crafted luxury ambience. Leather steering wheel with optimised arrangement of multifunction buttons. Re-positioned tray for wireless charging of mobile phones. BMW Touch Command with upgraded hardware and software. Rear-seat entertainment system with full-HD touchscreen display.
- Enhanced acoustic properties optimise long-distance travelling comfort: improved soundproofing around the rear wheel arches, B-pillars and seatbelt outlet covers in the rear, and for the side windows and rear window (acoustic glass).
- Updated line-up of engines. All variants meet the Euro 6d-TEMP exhaust standard. V12 engine in the BMW M760Li xDrive now with gasoline particulate filter. New V8 engine with maximum output raised by 80 hp to 530 hp for the BMW 750i xDrive and BMW 750Li xDrive. Also available: three diesel engines with up to four turbochargers and outputs ranging from 265 hp to 400 hp.
- Plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series now with specially adapted six-cylinder in-line petrol engine and upgraded high-voltage battery. System output in SPORT mode raised to a maximum 290 kW/394 hp. Electric range increased to 50 – 58 kilometres (31 – 36 miles).
- Sophisticated chassis technology delivers exceptional balance between luxurious ride comfort and the dynamic flair for which BMW is renowned. Adaptive suspension and two-axle air suspension fitted as standard. Integral Active Steering and Executive Drive Pro with active roll stabilisation (not available for plug-in hybrid models) available as options. BMW M760Li xDrive and plug-in hybrid variants with model-specific chassis tuning.
- Further progress towards automated driving. Exceptionally wide range of driver assistance systems. Driving Assistant Professional with Steering and lane control assistant. Standard-fitted Parking Assistant now also includes Reversing Assistant.
- Standard BMW Live Cockpit Professional with Navigation system, fully digital, 12.3-inch instrument cluster and 10.25-inch Control Display with consistent, modern graphics. New BMW Operating System 7.0 enables extremely fast access to settings and functions, customisable displays and multimodal operation via touchscreen display, iDrive Controller, steering wheel buttons, voice control and gesture control.
- BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant acts as a digital co-driver and expert on the car. Controlled by natural voice commands. Vitality and relaxation programmes plus three Experience Modes with need-based compositions of lighting, air conditioning, fragrancing, seat massage, shading, seat heating and seat ventilation. Integration of Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business. Remote Software Upgrades for updating vehicle functions over the air.