BMW has released photos of their 4th generation BMW X family patriarch, the BMW X5. Dubbed as an SAV (Sports Activity Vehicle), BMW has sold 2.2 million units world wide. The X5 will be launched later this year in November.
The new BMW X5 is going tbe larger than the current ones you see on the road. Length has been increased by 36mm (to 4,922mm) and the width by 66mm (to 2,004mm). It also gained height by 19mm and the wheelbase has been extended as well by 42mm.
From the outside, the BMW X5 looks distinctively like a BMW X model thanks to BMW’s design language with sculpted surfaces and the signature large BMW kidney grille. On the inside, a classy and a classy and modern aura welcomes you, thanks to sophisticated materials, harmonious design and an innovative control concept.
Customers can choose between many variants such as the BMW xLine and M Sports lines, plus model-specific features from BMW Individual. BMW Laserlight with Adaptive LED Headlights available as an option. Light sources have a striking design; lenses spread in a distinctive X shape; a signature blue colour of BMW Laserlight.
This is the first BMW model to be available with 22-inch light-alloy wheels (optional). M light-alloy wheels in twin-spoke design and BMW Individual light-alloy wheels available from launch in this size. Market launch of the new BMW X5 with four engine variants: Newly developed V8 petrol engine with 462 hp in the BMW X5 xDrive50i (not available in Europe), six-cylinder in-line petrol engine with 340 hp in the BMW X5 xDrive40i and two six-cylinder in-line diesel engines with 400 hp in the BMW X5 M50d and 265 hp in the BMW X5 xDrive30d. All power units feature cutting-edge exhaust gas treatment technology, including a gasoline particulate filter or SCR catalyst, and meet the EU6d-TEMP standard. Eight-speed Steptronic transmission fitted as standard.
BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive with new, more efficient control system and rear-wheel bias as standard. Differential lock at rear axle provides noticeably enhanced agility, traction and directional stability when accelerating out of corners and in other dynamic driving situations.
Another firsts is that the X5 will come with an optional Off-Road package. Two-axle air suspension, underguard at the front and rear, plus specific displays in the instrument cluster and Control Display. Choice of four driving modes available at the touch of a button. Ride height and the responses of BMW xDrive, DSC, the transmission and the accelerator are adjusted to give an optimum set-up for driving on sand, rock, gravel or snow. Dynamic Damper Control with electronically controlled dampers as standard. New chassis systems available for the first time in a BMW X model: two-axle air suspension offering ride height adjustment of up to 80 millimetres. Integral Active Steering, Adaptive M suspension Professional with active roll stabilisation.
Debut appearance of the BMW Live Cockpit Professional display and control concept (fitted as standard). Further development of the iDrive operating system to include a fully digital instrument cluster and 12.3-inch Control Display. Clear graphics and flat menu structure designed for touch control ensure quick access to settings and functions. Situation-linked and customisable displays supply the driver with the right information at the right time. Increased ease of use through multimodal use of the touchscreen display, Controller, voice control and BMW gesture control.
Other features of the new BMW X5 include the following:
- New generation of the BMW Head-Up Display with a larger projection surface (now 7 × 3.5 inch), optimised 3D graphics and additional display content.
- Optional third row of seats (expected to be available from 12/2018) offers two additional seats; comfortable entry and exit thanks to electrically forward-tilting second-row seats.
- Two-piece split tailgate, hands-free opening and closing of both sections with optional Comfort Access. Automatic boot cover can be lowered electrically into load compartment floor (expected to be available from 12/2018). Boot capacity can be increased from 645 litres to a maximum 1,860 litres.
- Standard leather trim in new variant Vernasca and optional BMW Individual Merino leather trim both available in a choice of four colours.
- New options provide the interior with exceptional creature comforts: Multifunction seats with massage function, four-zone automatic climate control, heated armrests, cooled/heated cupholders in the centre console, Panorama glass roof Sky Lounge with a 23 per cent larger glass surface, Ambient Air package for interior fragrancing, Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System (expected to be available from 12/2018), Rear-seat entertainment Professional system with 10.2-inch touchscreen display (expected to be available from 12/2018).
- First appearance of new glass applications (optional) for the newly designed transmission selector lever, the Controller, the start/stop button in the centre console and the audio system control knob.
- Telephony with wireless charging for compatible mobile phones. BMW Display Key shows vehicle status information and allows user to control vehicle functions.
- Updated ambient lighting (optional) with Welcome Light Carpet for the entry area to the car and Dynamic Interior Light with pulsating illumination in the instrument panel (when receiving incoming phone calls) and in the door panel and opener (when the door is opened with the engine running).
- Innovative suite of driver assistance systems takes another step towards automated driving: Driving Assistant Professional includes further developed Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, Steering and lane control assistant, Lane Change Warning and Lane Departure Warning, side collision protection, evasion aid, Crossing traffic warning, Priority warning and Wrong-way warning.
- Emergency Stop Assistant available for the first time; brakes the vehicle automatically if required, and steers it to the side of the road.
- Parking Assistant with automated longitudinal and lateral guidance. New Reversing Assistant takes over steering to manoeuvre the vehicle along a path recently negotiated forward – over a distance of up to 50 metres. Parking Assistant Plus also includes Surround View, Top View, Panorama View and Remote 3D View.
- Complete range of services from BMW ConnectedDrive. Full connectivity between the vehicle and the customer’s digital devices via the BMW Connected personal mobility assistant. BMW Digital Key allows users to access the vehicle and start the engine using their smartphone. Hazard warning provided by connectivity with other BMW vehicles. Software upgrades “over the air”. Integration of Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business.