It is race day today at the 2017 Australia Grand Prix. As Lewis Hamilton takes pole position, here is what you need to know about the new cars and new changes in formula 1 for 2017.
Not a Mercedes fan? Perhaps you might want to watch this instead.
Here is a summary of the changes made to the cars for the Formula 1 2017 season.
- 25% increase in tyre width to increase mechanical grip (Front tyres 245mm to 305mm, rear tyres from 325mm to 405mm)
- Increase in tyre diameter
- Due to the changes of the tyre width, overall car width is now increased from 1800mm to 2000mm
- Front wing has been widened as well as a mandatory shape which all teams must follow
- Rear diffuser is now wider and taller
- Sidepods have been widened, from a maximum width up from 1400mm to 1600mm.
- Maximum weight of the car is increased from 702kg to 722kg plus tyres
For a better visual representation of the changes, check out the link here.