Hong Leong Yamaha Motor (HLYM) has just unveiled an all new scooter over the weekend during the annual Chinese New Year Dealer’s Appreciation dinner. The 155 cc, water-cooled scooter is called “NMAX”.
Dato’ Jim Khor, managing director of HLYM, surprised the guests and media with a big “ang-pow” with the revelation of the scooter. The NMAX engine, known as the “BLUECORE” engine, boasts improvements in combustion efficiency, improved cooling performance and reduced power loss.
The BLUECORE engine, a 155 cc fuel injection, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, SOHC, 4-valve with Variable Valve Actuation (VVA), is paired with a CVT g’box, and has body styling that reflects the “MAX” family models such as “TMAX” and “X-MAX”, which is more popular in other markets. The NMAX has been developed as a world-class next-generation 155cc scooter that offers strong torque at low-speeds and power at high-speeds, which makes it an ideal scooter for the Malaysian motor scooterists that traverse urban city centers and highways. Yamaha NMAX inherits the DNA of the MAX series, and offers sporty performance, a compact body size for ease of use and a high level of convenience in urban areas, plus styling and functions that denote its status as a next-generation model that will fulfill the needs of customers wanting to step up from 100 cc–125 cc scooter models.
We have also spotted that the NMAX has an ABS hoop in the front brake rotor, that intrigued many of us and we were wondering if all the scooters will be equipped with ABS. Careta.my has got it figured out that the future CKD models will not be equipped with ABS.
- New liquid-cooled, Single Overhead Camshaft (SOHC), 4-valves, 155cc BLUECORE engine with Variable Valve Actuation (VVA) and Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Body styling with a central tunnel based on the MAX model family
- Riding position with a high degree of freedom and comfort for both small and large physiques
- Under seat storage capable of holding helmet (Some helmets may not fit in depending on shape)
- LED headlights and rear brake lights for brighter and clearer illumination during riding.
- Front and rear disc brakes for optimum braking performance
- Twin rear suspension for better riding stability and comfort
- A 6.6-litre fuel tank that is strategically positioned in the center tunnel easier reach and convenience
- A full LCD instrument panel which offers a modern and trendy design
- Seat equipped with spring fitted hinges that offers more convenience during storage compartment accessibility.
The NMAX comes in two trendy colors, red and gray, and will be made available to all authorised Yamaha dealers nationwide by April 2016. The price for the scooter was not announced at the launch but it is hinted to be priced below RM 10,000 (without insurance and road tax).
Contributed to AF by Jeff Ng