Land Rover has just unveiled the all-new Discovery during the eve of the 2016 Paris Motor Show. In line with its siblings, the new Land Rover Discovery sheds its rugged exterior in favour of a contemporary design.
Set to go on sale in the United Kingdom in Spring 2017 with a price starting from £43,495, the all-new Land Rover Discovery is now a full-sized, three-row, seven-seat SUV that offers exceptional capability and versatility.
The new Land Rover Discovery sits on a lightweight aluminium platform that is shared with its bigger brothers, the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, which allows the Discovery to shed some 480 kg over its predecessor. In turn, the Discovery is now more efficient than before.
Inside, the new Land Rover Discover boasts seven adult-sized seats, which can be configured from smartphones using the world-first remote Intelligent Seat Fold technology, semi autonomous safety technologies, up to 2,500-litres of boot space, nine USB ports, six 12-volt charging sockets and an in-car 3G WiFi hotspot for up to eight devices.
Land Rover is offering 2,400 examples of the limited-run ‘First Edition’ models, which features unique etched map detailing on the aluminium trim for the doors and fascia, unique badges, bold colour choices and a comprehensive list of standard equipment. In addition to that, there is also the optional Dynamic Design Pack, which gives the Discovery a stealth-like appearance both inside and out, with features including a contrast roof, athletic front and rear bumper designs, luxurious leather upholstery and a sports-inspired steering wheel and pedals setting it apart.
Off-road capabilities aren’t compromised on the new Land Rover Discovery, as the new model now features a comprehensive range of off-roading systems, which includes:
- Hill Descent Control (HDC) maintains a set speed while tackling steep descents off-road.
- Gradient Release Control (GRC) slowly releases the brake when moving from a standing start on an incline for greater control.
- Electronic Traction Control (ETC) applies a braking force or reduces torque to individual wheels to stop wheelspin.
- Roll Stability Control (RSC) detects the beginning of a rollover and applies the brakes to the outer wheels to bring the vehicle under control.
- Wade Sensing provides real-time wading depth information in relation to the maximum wading depth using the 4x4i infotainment screen.
Furthermore, the Land Rover Discovery provides a full suite of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) to ensure occupant safety. The ADAS suite features a number of safety features, like
- Adaptive Cruise Control maintains a preset speed and automatically adjusts to maintain a pre-determined distance from vehicles in front. It is also able to come to a complete stop when in traffic.
- Traffic Sign Recognition uses a forward-facing camera and satellite navigation information to inform the driver of speed limits.
- Intelligent Speed Limiter uses the Traffic Sign Recognition and GPS systems to identify speed limits and reduce the vehicle’s speed. The driver is not able to exceed this limit, unless they cancel the function, and the system will use engine braking to slow the vehicle appropriately.
- Automatic High Beam automatically dips the headlights between high and dipped beam when it identifies a vehicle in front (either from its rear or headlamps).
- Driver Condition Monitor is able to monitor driver behaviour through inputs of steering, brake and accelerator to detect that they are becoming tired and suggest they take a short break.
- HD Surround Camera System with 360-degree Surround View, Front Junction View, Rear Junction View, Tow Assist and Hitch Assist, including reversing camera system
- Lane Departure Warning warns the driver through a vibration in the steering wheel if the digital camera detects them drifting out of lane.
- Lane Keep Assist applies gentle torque to the steering to keep the driver within their lane.
New Discovery is manufactured at Jaguar Land Rover’s Solihull production facility in the West Midlands, UK, alongside Range Rover and Range Rover Sport.