It isn’t too late to catch the TimeToAttack final round here at the Sepang International Circuit today. The event starts from 12pm onwards and will carry on till late in the evening. If you have a bit of free time or want to let your kids experience a little bit of local motorsports, head over there as soon as you read this.
I love the TimeToAttack series because it gave a complete amateur like me an opportunity to taste a little bit of what its like to be in motorsports. Well, a very tiny bit of course. Still, the atmosphere and the experience was something which I will definitely cherish and I hope in the near future, I can return back to the scene.
An overview of how the event takes place is that each driver will be categorised into the various categories base on his/her car. For example, if you drive a Euro made car such as Mercedes or BMW, you would fit into the Euro category. Of course there are exception such as a Euro car which is built to be a GT car. The next deciding factor is the tyres you use, whether it is ultra high performance road tyres (threadwear of 140 and above) or semi slick tyres (usually threadwear of below 140). Once you are in the category, make sure that during your time slot you drive up on the track and set your fastest lap within a short window of 30 minutes.
Now, 30 minutes may sound extremely long but if you consider that you need to take the time to measure your tyre temperatures (after several hot laps, the tyre temps can raise by about 10psi) as well as manage your car’s engine temperature (some cars need cooling down laps), it really mean that you have around 9-10 laps at most that is if your times are incredibly fast.
Good luck to the participants out there today!
Here is a run down of today’s schedule below.
21 DEC 2014 TIMETOATTACK SCHEDULE*
- 8:00am – 11.00am : Driver Registration
- 8:30am – 11:30: Track Day
- 9:00am – 11.00am : Time Attack Scrutineering
- 11:45am – 12:15pm : Time Attack Drivers’ Briefing (Compulsory Attendance)
- 12:15pm – 12:45pm : Parade Lap to test Transponders
- 12:45pm – 1:10pm : Group 1 (EUROS & GT CARS)
- 1:10pm – 1:35pm : Group 2 (GTR & SUPERCARS)
- 1:35pm – 2:00pm : Group 3 (NA & TURBO SUPER STREET)
- 2:00pm – 2:25pm : Group 4 (STREET TURBO)
- 2:25pm – 2:55pm : Group 5 (STREET NA)
- 2:55pm – 3:15pm : Group 6 (TIME ATTACK MACHINES)
- 3:15pm – 3:45pm : #PARKIT SHOW PARADE
- 3:45pm – 4:10pm : Group 1 (EUROS & GT CARS)
- 4:10pm – 4:35pm : Group 2 (GTR & SUPERCARS)
- 4:35pm – 5:00pm : Group 3 (NA & TURBO SUPER STREET)
- 5:00pm – 5:25pm : Group 4 (STREET TURBO)
- 5:25pm – 5:55pm : Group 5 (STREET NA)
- 5:55pm – 6:15pm : Group 6 (TIME ATTACK MACHINES)
- 6:30pm : TIMETOATTACK Prize Presentation
TIMETOATTACK remains unaffected be it Rain or Shine.
Image Source: TimeToAttack.net