Ford Focus, the best-selling vehicle nameplate in the world in 2012, has managed to retain the title for the first half of 2013 according to Ford analysis of Polk global vehicle registration data. In addition, its sibling the Ford Fiesta ranks as the fourth best-selling vehicle – making Ford the only brand to have two nameplates among the global top five best-sellers.
Ford Focus grew 20 percent in the first half of 2013 from the same period last year, to 589,709 vehicles registered, driven primarily (pun intended) by increasing demand from customers in China and other Asian countries. Focus sales in China is up a staggering 137 percent from 2012, to a total of 202,380 vehicles, making China the single biggest global market for the car with one-third of Focus sales.
Customers are responding enthusiastically to Focus in other Asian countries, as well. Through September, Ford reported Focus sales up 193 percent in Indonesia, 72 percent in both the Philippines and Vietnam, and 42 percent in Thailand. Sales growth for the Focus in Malaysia has increased more than ten-fold in the past year.
With over 10 million units sold since its introduction in 1998, the Ford Focus has become a firm favourite with consumers worldwide for its outstanding value, comfort and safety, and above all, for being great fun to drive. The all-new Focus is also packed with more smart technologies and features that put the fun and convenience into driving. Generally found only in larger, more expensive cars, many of these smart features are a first in the mid-sized car segment. Some of these features include:
- Award-winning Ford SYNC™ system, powered by Microsoft – reads text messages, enables drivers to make and take calls or play their favourite music using voice commands.
- Active Park Assist – hands free parallel parking system is the first in the segment for Malaysia (only on Sport+ and Titanium+ models).
- Active City Stop – automatically applies the brake in the event the car ahead stops suddenly (only on Sport+ and Titanium+ models).
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) – a warning system that alerts drivers when a vehicle enters the driver’s blind spot area (available in the Titanium+ variant).
- Active Grille Shutter – automatically opens and closes the lower grille, controlling the amount of air entering the engine compartment, improving aerodynamics and fuel economy by reducing drag.
- 2.0L Ti-VCT GDI I-4 engine – delivering 170PS of power and 202Nm of torque, better fuel economy.
- Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) and Torque Vectoring Control – prevents slippage to gain traction and control during hard corners.
- Electric power-assisted steering system (EPAS) – delivers precise steering with a natural and confident feel, while reducing fuel consumption by up to three percent.
- Smart Keyless Entry and Ford Power Start are available across all variants.
As part of Ford’s “Magnificent 7” sales campaign, the all-new Focus Titanium+ and Sport+ variants are now available at low interest rates of 1.38 per cent.
The Ford Fiesta also joins the Focus as being among the five global best-sellers, and earns the top spot as the best-selling subcompact car globally, with 356,434 units registered in the first half of 2013. “Fiesta is off to a terrific start, and Focus just keeps getting better,” said David Westerman, regional manager, Asia Pacific Emerging Markets Services Group, Ford Motor Company. “This is One Ford at its best: great-looking vehicles with great fuel economy, leading quality, technology and fun-to-drive personalities.”
Combined, global registration of Ford’s small cars – Fiesta and Focus – total 946,143 vehicles for the first six months of the year, representing an 8 percent increase. The recently launched new Fiesta is a fantastic mix of what customers have come to expect from Ford vehicles: stylish looks, impressive smart and safe technologies, fuel efficiency, performance and quality. Priced at RM86,988¹ the new Fiesta in Malaysia comes in two variants: the five-door hatchback Sport and four-door sedan Titanium.
For more information about the all-new Ford Focus or new Ford Fiesta, visit: www.ford.net.my.
Text & images courtesy of